There are TWO things that come to mind when I ask myself what has brought me success in the Hairstyling industry:
- ALWAYS maintaining the integrity of my guests hair.
- Giving a killer consult; including advice for optimal hair care, and styling maintenance.
A scrunchie is a much more gentle alternative than a regular elastic, which can cause stress to your hair. This being one of the top reasons why I founded Zenchies, I’ll share some further healthy hair tips & Zenchie recommendations for YOUR hair texture!
Thin/ Fine Hair:
- Blow dry your hair upside down to create volume! If you’re going to give yourself a blow-out to get that va-va voom; make sure your hair is at least 90% dry before using your round brush.
- Less is more when it comes to product usage! Too much product will weigh it down, & cause it to look flat and/or oily. My favourite light-weight leave-in conditioner for fine hair is Living Proof Perfecting Spray. ALWAYS make sure to use a detangling spray on wet hair before combing! (Ps Perfecting Spray works amazing on ALL hair textures.
- Help absorb oil and add instant volume with dry shampoo! Living Proof PHD Dry Shampoo works great as a refresher on non-hair wash days.
Curly/ Wavy Hair:
- Curly/ wavy textures tend to be on the drier side, and NEED moisture for the hair to look and feel it’s best! Try to refrain from over-shampooing, as the curls need their natural oils for optimal health. I recommend trying to only cleanse once- twice a week. Make sure to ALWAYS use a hydrating conditioner afterwards to help replenish moisture levels! My curly-hair clients have been loving the NEW Curl Conditioner by Living Proof.
- It’s rare that curls will look their best without using a styling product to enhance/ hold their shape. Make sure that your hair is still wet before applying. I even suggest applying your product(s) in the shower! Gently rake the products on to your hair with your fingers, being very meticulous to coat every hair strand.
- Protect your curly hair while you sleep by “pineappling!” Loosely secure your curls with a srunchie on the top of your head to avoid tangles and preserve curls for the morning! The pile of curls resembles the shape of pineapple, and voila- the pineapple technique was born.
Straight & Medium/ Thick Hair:
- As cozy as a hot, steamy shower sounds; it can also negatively affect the health of your hair by irritating your scalp, and weakening strands. Using a mildly-warm temperature instead will encourage the cuticles to still open, allowing conditioners and treatments to deeply absorb into the hair. Rinse with cold water to seal the cuticles shut, to help retain moisture and boost shine!
- This tip goes for ALL hair textures; GET. A. TRIM! It is important to see your stylist for regular haircuts to ensure your strands stay healthy, and don’t break off at the ends! Many of my clients will come in for a “microtrim” about every 6-12 weeks to maintain their length and promote healthy hair growth!
- Let your hair airdry and avoid hot tools as much as possible if you’re trying to repair damage! Make sure to use a heat protectant on your hair before using any hot tools (I personally LOVE Living Proof Instant Protection), and then select the appropriate heat setting. It is better to use a lower temperature on fine/ delicate textures; thick hair can usually withstand more heat.
Check out our NEW Luxe Dry Zenchies to help reduce heat styling, and to encourage healthy hair growth!
No matter what texture you’ve been blessed with, most of these healthy-hair tips can be used universally. It’s human
nature to want what we don’t have- so instead of fighting and resisting, let’s all learn to embrace our OWN beauty!
Check out my hair ig; @samanthahairstylist for tips, hair inspo, and more!